News

Another bomb scare clears Supreme and District courts

 Brisbane Supreme and District courts.
Brisbane Supreme and District courts. Rae Wilson

AN ANONYMOUS bomb threat, which sparked the evacuation of almost 600 people at Brisbane's Supreme and District Court, has been described as disgraceful and irresponsible.

Queensland Chief Justice Paul de Jersey said it was disgraceful someone would disrupt legal processes in this way, for the second time this year.

The Brisbane Supreme Court switchboard received the threat at 9.40am, resulting in lawyers, media, criminals and members of the public being evacuated floor by floor.

Witnesses reported finding fire doors locked, trapping them on upper levels in the new building - which was opened in August - until security staff aided their exit.

The police bomb and dog squads scoured the building and declared it safe more than two hours later.

A similar evacuation occurred at the old courthouse in June during the Gerard Baden-Clay bail application, Max Sica's murder trial for murdering three siblings and the same day as a Finks motorcycle gang application.

Justice de Jersey said on Friday a manslaughter trial had to be adjourned and 100 other criminal and civil matters disrupted.

"'It's a disgraceful waste of public resources and it's a gross intrusion into the wellbeing of all participants in the judicial process," he said.

"These people should realise that they are sometimes caught.

"And if they are, they will face the full weight of the law."

Threat details could not been released as police investigations are continuing.

 

10.30am: A BOMB scare has led to the evacuation of the new Brisbane Supreme and District Court precinct.

Just moments after the weekly Friday morning drill, wardens were asked to evacuate floor by floor.

Dozens of police, including the dog squad, rushed to the courthouse, between George and Roma streets, as people exited between 9.30 and 10am.

The dog squad entered the building to search a short time ago.

Initial indications are that people cannot return to the building before 12.30pm

A similar evacuation occurred at the old courthouse earlier this year during the Gerard Baden-Clay bail application for murdering his wife, Max Sica's trial for murdering three siblings and the same day as a Finks motorcycle gang application.

 


Topics:  bomb scare, brisbane supreme court




Truck leaves an "offal" mess on road

Offal littered the Warrego Highway near Kholo on Monday afternoon. Photo: Rob Williams / The Queensland Times

Motorists encounter smelly road obstruction

Struggling country shows get major boost

Callum Mack, 6 and Joe Murray, 6, at the Rosewood Show. Photo Inga Williams / The Queensland Times

Three local show societies helped by State Government funding

7 times shonky businessman made headlines

LIFE OF RILEY: While Ipswich pensioners have been left thousands of dollars out of pocket the man behind IpswichPatios and Sheds is living the high life in Loganholme.

Former Ipswich shed man up to old tricks

Latest deals and offers

Rob Kardashian 'neglected' by Blac Chyna

Friends say they are now 'back in love'

Isla Fisher: I don't like talking about my private life

Isla Fisher shut down TV hosts when they asked about her husband

Mariah Carey: I 'can't believe' Prince has gone

'Prince was one of the best people I've met'

Joe Jonas' 'tough' pals

Joe Jonas' pals are 'tough' with his potential partners

The Bachelor wash up: bacon, plank offs and that white rose

Richie Strahan, second from left, with bachelorettes Eliza, Faith, Noni and Janey in a scene from episode one of the fourth season of The Bachelor.

RICHIE Strahan meets some beautiful, and colourful, bachelorettes.

Town with 'unique country flair' will be ruined: resident

Jonathan Emms of Rosewood is concerned about a proposed townhouse development for this John Street block of land.

Residents concerned by high density development proposal

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd