Assistance concerns

Part of the line-up of people at Logan Central waiting to have emergency assistance grants to be processed. Photo: Inga Williams / The Reporter
Part of the line-up of people at Logan Central waiting to have emergency assistance grants to be processed. Photo: Inga Williams / The Reporter Inga Williams

A SEA of people could be seen outside the Logan Community Recovery Centre last week as thousands of flood and storm affected residents queued for hours to claim emergency assistance grants.

But some residents voiced concerns they may miss out because of fears others are unfairly claiming grants.

The grants, which are between $180 and $900, are only available for people who are unable to meet immediate needs for accommodation, food, essential clothing or medication.

In addition, people must also have been without power for at least 48 hours.

One group made up of four Waterford West residents, who all wished to remain anonymous, told The Reporter last week they knew of people rorting the system.

"Where we live in Waterford West, we were not directly affected by floodwaters and were only without power for 34 hours," one said.

"But yet, we know many of our neighbours, who were in the same situation as us, claiming money.

"We know they are claiming the money because some were even going around to the other neighbours and boasting about it and handing out forms.

"Now to us, we don't think that is right because their houses were okay.

"We get so angry when we see these people clearly rorting the system because that money should be going to people who were much worse off."

Some days the line at Logan Central was so large people were being turned away because the centre reached its daily capacity.

After asking more than 10 families waiting in line on Thursday afternoon, none were prepared to comment as to why they were claiming the money.

Minister for Communities Tracy Davis said people who were fraudulently taking the grants would be referred to the police.

"The grants are for those who are experiencing hardship as a result of the disaster and are unable to meet their immediate needs," she said.

"It is made very clear to people that this is a one-off payment only.

"The department do have checks in place to see if people have fraudulently applied for more than one grant.

"Cases identified as suspected fraud will be referred to the police."

Ms Davis said more than 18,000 emergency assistance grants had been paid across the state so far, totalling more than $8 million.

"The Department of Communities have responded swiftly to the needs of communities right across Queensland, getting on the ground and providing real support to thousands of affected people," she said.

"We have processed more than 7700 grants this week alone across Brisbane, Gold Coast and Logan which is a clear indication that our staff are working quickly, but also meeting the needs of victims."

Topics:  emergency flood grant

Lighthouse Care wants to open in Ipswich

Lighthouse Care founder Debbie Hill said the organisation wants to expand and open a site in Ipswich.

The problem is, they are unable to find a suitable location

Gable Tostee: His own words about that fatal night

Gable Tostee

Gable Tostee talks about the pizza, the recording, and that night

LETTER: Negative energy talk frustrates Ipswich MP

South Australia's black out was triggered by an extreme weather event, not renewable energy, says Ipswich MP Jim Madden.

South Australian black out was triggered by an extreme weather event

Local Partners

Workmates honour crash victim with tribute

UPDATE: Tanya Lyell is being remembered as a young mother dedicated to her family and work as the town she called home mourns its loss.

Community garden set for Palmwoods

Kay Nixon at the Palmwoods Community Gardens will be hosting a launch day and inviting the ecommunity to come along and sign up.

Parcel of land to supply sustainable gardening for community

Things to do this week

Dragon play Ipswich Civic Centre on Friday October 28

What's on in Ipswich

Ipswich unites in march for safe world for kids

The streets turn red in one of the previous Walk for Daniel events.

Bruce and Denise continue movement

Priscilla concerned people will forget about Elvis

Priscilla Presley source Bang

She says she feels responsible to keep his legacy going

Taylor Swift files lawsuit over alleged groping

Taylor Swift source Bang

Swift has commenced legal action against a DJ over the incident

Kanye West threatens to boycott Grammys

West says he won't go to the Grammys if Frank Ocean's not nominated

Why this actress wasn't embarrassed by nude photo leak

Leslie Jones source Bang

'If you wanna see Leslie Jones naked, just ask,' she said

Festival blooms with Jacaranda trees

BLOOMING GOOD: Cr Paul Tully with the Goodna Jacarandas, in bloom ahead of the upcoming Jacaranda Festival.

This year's festival gets under way on Friday

Dad's Army comic genius Jim Perry dies

Jimmy Perry, the creator of Dad's Army.

Dad's Army series captured all that British people savour

Hinterland horse stud passed in for $8.25 million

UNREAL: This Maleny estate is incredible.

12-bedroom hinterland horse stud still available

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.