364 have say on fracking in NT

Images like this shale gasfield in Green River Basin, Wyoming, in the United States, is what the Labor Government will be trying to ensure does not happen in the NT through conducting its inquiry into fracking.
Images like this shale gasfield in Green River Basin, Wyoming, in the United States, is what the Labor Government will be trying to ensure does not happen in the NT through conducting its inquiry into fracking. Contributed

THE Northern Territory Government has rejected claims there was a problem with the website that was set up to take submissions about the forthcoming inquiry into fracking in the NT.

In a statement last week, Frack-Free NT quoted members of the public who said they were told by people within government "that the webpage hasn't been capturing submissions" for the Draft Terms of Reference for the inquiry into hydraulic fracturing of onshore unconventional gas reservoirs.

Submissions for the inquiry's draft terms closed at midnight on October 13.

Two days beforehand, Frack-Free NT called on the government to extend the date for submissions because of the "technical issue".

In the Frack-Free statement, Pauline Cass said she contacted the Chief Minister's office to make sure her submission and others from family members had been received and was told there were issues.

"The IT guy in the Chief Minister's office told us there has been a technical issue and the webpage hasn't been capturing submissions," Ms Cass said.

"Getting the Terms of Reference right for the fracking inquiry is critical. It will determine if they actually get to research the things that matter to Territorians.

"I think it's only fair that the government makes a public announcement on their webpage fail and extends the consultation time on the Terms of Reference for another month.

"Hundreds of people could have put in submissions that have now been lost.

"This is a disaster for Territorians who have strong views on this issue and who have been disenfranchised by Minister Gunner rushing through this process in a bid to placate the gas industry."

The Frack-Free statement also said that Katherine residents found the same issue when they called to check their submissions were received.

A spokeswoman for Ken Vowles, the Minister for Primary Industry and Resources, told Rural Weekly there had been no issue with the website.

"There has not been any IT troubles preventing submissions from being entered," the spokeswoman said in an email reply to questions from Rural Weekly.

Meanwhile, the government said it had received 364 submissions for the Draft Terms of Reference.

The Minister for Environment and Natural Resources Lauren Moss said the number of submissions received from the community demonstrated the importance of an open and transparent process.

"The government has kept faith with the thousands of Territorians who voted for a moratorium on fracking and an open and transparent process of community consultation and scientific investigation," Ms Moss said.

"To have such a high level of response shows how important the community sees not just this issue, but engaging proactively with the government.

"The Northern Territory Government is pleased that so many people took the time to lodge a submission to have their voices heard."

Following the finalisation of the Terms of Reference, and the formation of the inquiry panel, public consultation sessions and meetings will be held in Darwin, Katherine, Tennant Creek, Alice Springs and other regional communities.

Ms Moss said the moratorium on hydraulic fracturing of onshore unconventional reservoirs within the Territory would remain in place until government had thoroughly considered the recommendations of the inquiry.

Topics:  frack-free nt fracking inquiry northern territory government submissions

Ipswich climber makes it to Everest Base Camp

Beau Stewart is completing the hike of a lifetime in Nepal.

He visited Alice Springs, Tasmania and spots all over south-east Queensland as part...

WATCH: Boxing roos caught on video

QT readers Des and Jen Price captured this confrontation between two male roos in the backyard at Redbank Plains early Monday morning.

Readers capture kangaroos fighting

Burger Urge to open at Redbank Plains

Burger Urge will open in Redbank Plains in 2017.

Popular restaurant announces new store

Local Partners

Workmates honour crash victim with tribute

UPDATE: Tanya Lyell is being remembered as a young mother dedicated to her family and work as the town she called home mourns its loss.

Community garden set for Palmwoods

Kay Nixon at the Palmwoods Community Gardens will be hosting a launch day and inviting the ecommunity to come along and sign up.

Parcel of land to supply sustainable gardening for community

Things to do this week

Dragon play Ipswich Civic Centre on Friday October 28

What's on in Ipswich

Ipswich unites in march for safe world for kids

The streets turn red in one of the previous Walk for Daniel events.

Bruce and Denise continue movement

Kanye West threatens to boycott Grammys

West says he won't go to the Grammys if Frank Ocean's not nominated

Why this actress wasn't embarrassed by nude photo leak

Leslie Jones source Bang

'If you wanna see Leslie Jones naked, just ask,' she said

Festival blooms with Jacaranda trees

BLOOMING GOOD: Cr Paul Tully with the Goodna Jacarandas, in bloom ahead of the upcoming Jacaranda Festival.

This year's festival gets under way on Friday

Dad's Army comic genius Jim Perry dies

Jimmy Perry, the creator of Dad's Army.

Dad's Army series captured all that British people savour

Check out some fashions from the Coast festival

FASHION: Ocean Zen range.

Images from the Sunshine Coast Fashion Festival show what's hot

Things to do this week

Dragon play Ipswich Civic Centre on Friday October 28

What's on in Ipswich

Hinterland horse stud passed in for $8.25 million

UNREAL: This Maleny estate is incredible.

12-bedroom hinterland horse stud still available

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.